"The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough."
~ Randy Pausch, professor

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Where Do You Turn?

Who do you go to if you suspect abuse of a loved one (or anyone else, for that matter) in a hospital, group home or residential care centre?

The Protection of Persons in Care Act came into force on October 1, 2007.** The legislation attempts to provide an extra safe guard from abuse for patients and residents 16 years of age and older who are receiving care in a Nova Scotia health facility (which includes hospitals, nursing homes, homes for special care or caring for persons with disabilities, group homes and residential centres) and requires health facility administrators and service providers (including staff and volunteers) to promptly report all allegations or instances of abuse.

Anyone else (that's you!) can report abuse by calling 1-800-225-7225.

You can find a few more things you need to know, such as the definition of the term "abuse" and exactly what comprises a "health care facility" here.

** Interesting side note. Although the Act was originally passed in 2004, it was not proclaimed (most Acts do not become effective until they are proclaimed) until October, 2007. Anyone else wondering what that three year delay was all about?

    No comments: