"As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected
and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever
~Clarence Darrow

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Apply For ...

A quick show of hands, how many here are familiar with the Special Needs Information Service?

In case you're not, you really should check out the link in the blue Sidebar under the heading "Helpful Links ... in General").
Special Needs Information Service Online provides a comprehensive directory and a user-friendly searchable database of service agencies and programs for children with special needs, birth to 18 years of age. The agencies and organizations included have agreed to participate and to update their information annually. Host sites currently in Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island identify suitable local services, maintain regional databases and user statistics and publicize SNIS Online in their region. An Advisory Board composed of representatives from host sites, partners and academic researchers is responsible for the development and implementation of operating procedures, expansion of services, research projects and finances. The Centre of Excellence for Children and Adolescents with Special Needs provides annual funding for network maintenance and administrative and technical support.
Although I thought I was familiar with the site, following a link and moseying around the web today, I was a little surprised to come across this Checklist for Parents.

Might I strongly suggest that it's well worth a look, setting out everything from potential income tax deductions at the federal level to various provincial benefits and programs.

We've discussed many of these items previously on this blawg, but look ~ here they are cleanly set out on one page. Have you missed any to which you might be entitled?

And, just as a word to the wise, you might want to pay particular attention to No. 35:
35) Get ready ahead of time for the transition from childhood to adulthood. When children with special needs reach the age of 19, they are legal adults and their parents are no longer their legal guardians without acquiring legal guardianship
through the courts. If your child is dependent on others for assistance in personal care and decision making due to a developmental disability, chronic mental illness, acquired brain injury, or other difficulties you may wish to obtain legal advice concerning guardianship and power of attorney. You will need to plan for the transition from children's programs to adult services in Departments of Health and Community Services. You may need to apply for income support and employment and housing opportunities for your family member. Allow enough time beforehand to find out what changes will be necessary and how you can access adult services.

No comments: